Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Our Little (and not so little) Saints

St. Zita 
 "Mom, what is this thing? 
Is this a dog's toy?
And you want me to hold it?"
I don't think so!
Sts. Cosmas and Damian
BigBoy couldn't choose between St. Cosmas and St. Damian, so he decided on both. According to Ben Hatke's illustrations in Around the Year Once upon a Time Saints, this is a close approximation of what they looked like. These twin saints were early doctors who used herbs and things like garlic to help heal people. They made a vow to not accept payment for their work. One day, St. Damian was implored to accept three eggs as a thank you for his help but his brother was livid. God turned his heart and helped him see the charity in Damian's acceptance. So, on one side of BigBoy's costume he's holding garlic and on the other side, he's sporting a leather pouch he sewed himself that's carrying three (wooden) eggs.

And then there are my big kids in their saint shirts...
St. Rafqa, St. Thomas More and St. Francis

 

4 comments:

  1. I love the shirts! That is such a good idea for the big kids! Everyone looked great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cupcake is total sweetness. I loved the Sts. Damien and Cosmas and the the story behind the costumes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good looking bunch there! The professor is getting so tall, he defies the picture frame. I am still getting the same response from my children when I hold out a broom. What? What is this?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and yourself!